Pattern: Mary Jane from Berroco
Needle: size 8 and 7 (for neck border)
Yarn: Knit Pick Wool of the Andes, Carrot
Modifications: adjusted the numbers for the neck, sleeves, and length.
I didn’t keep track of the total amount of time I spent on this pullover but it felt like a long time. I am so happy it’s done. Overall, I like the fit and the yarn feels very comfortable for 100% wool. I think I will actually wear it. In the past, I had only knitted for other people.
Some lessons learned with this project:
Seaming takes me a very long time even with experience. For future projects I will try to stick with knitting in the round or any other ways to reduce sewing seams.
Don’t mix yarns by different manufacturers no matter how similar you think they look and feel for a fairly traditional classic style pattern project. This is pretty intuitive except I was being cheap and just had to use my stash Lion Brand Wool Ease for the stripes. The subtle differences show up in the way the fabric folds and stretches when you move around. That can bug you every time you wear the garment. Also you can probably tell in the pic especially around the upper arms that the Lion Brand Wool Ease came out wider and looser.
Careful calculation of the stitch numbers to fit your gauge and your measurements (if you can’t or don’t want to obtain the original pattern gauge) pays off. I followed the instructions written in “Set-in Sleeves – a love affair” by Pam Allen in Interweave Knit Winter 2007, to a tee, and I thought the sleeve caps just fit perfectly.
In the end, it is a sweater I will wear often because of comfort and fit with some style.